Thursday, January 1, 2009

FPN Review: Noodler's X-Feather

(Here's a link to my review on FPN.)

As many of you know, Jetpens has started carrying Noodler's ink. They had a few bottles that were damaged during shipping that couldn't be sold. They offered the damaged bottles free to the first 6 people who responded in exchange for a review of the ink. They kindly sent me a bottle!

Noodler's X-Feather was designed to resist feathering, especially on cheap papers. It is billed as archival and 100% bulletproof.

I tried to use different papers than those used by the other 2 reviewers. I tried Noodler's X-Feather along with Noodler's Esplanade (Singapore exclusive), Noodler's Prime of the Commons Blue-Black (UK exclusive), and Noodler's La Reine Mauve (regular distribution). Esplanade in particular feathers a lot on many different papers, PCBB varies in its feathering qualities, and La Reine Mauve is generally well-behaved.

I used Sensa Meridian FPs, custom ground to 0.3mm, in all the handwritten samples.

Here are pics of samples on the different papers I tried:

Cheap copy paper (Georgia Pacific, 88 brightness, 20#)

(click on picture to enlarge)

(click on picture to enlarge)

(click on picture to enlarge)

(click on picture to enlarge)

(click on picture to enlarge)

Mead Composition Book, Vietnam paper

(click on picture to enlarge)

(click on picture to enlarge)

(click on picture to enlarge)
(click on picture to enlarge)

Index card (Oxford brand, really old and slightly yellowed)

(click on picture to enlarge)
(click on picture to enlarge)

Newsprint (old TV guide from the Sunday paper)

(click on picture to enlarge)

Facial tissue (Puffs)

(click on picture to enlarge)(click on picture to enlarge)

Ink drying time: As you can see, it smudged at 10 seconds (but not much at 5 seconds). This will be variable depending on how much ink was laid down by the pen, etc. I've used X-Feather to take notes on cheap copy paper, and it seemed to dry pretty fast--I'd heard it takes a long time. It probably does on Clairefontaine paper with a super-smooth finish, but that's not the type of paper this ink was made for!

Ink flow:
I really like the flow--it's not too dry in my pens, but not too wet, either! It puts down a nice, tight line, and doesn't widen on the page. I left it in a pen without using it for 5 days, and it started up immediately. I haven't experienced any problems while pausing during writing.

Overall, this is a nice, rich black ink that was very well-behaved in my Sensa Meridians. It performed beautifully on cheap recycled papers, and, true to its name, didn't feather! It didn't bleed through anything I tried, either, not even on the facial tissue! Its flow was perfect in my pens, and felt nice while writing. The drying time on cheap, absorbent papers was much better than I thought (on the newsprint, it seemed to dry almost instantaneously). I wouldn't bother using this ink if you mostly use Clairefontaine paper or other papers that are pretty feather-resistant anyway, but if you use a lot of more porous papers or a wide variety of papers, X-Feather will do the trick!

3 comments:

Cleod said...

thank you for the great review - the scans on different kinds of paper were quite helpful as well :)

Kooky Chick said...

You're very welcome! I'm glad you found the review useful! :-)

AP said...

Nice! I have been thinking of getting a bottle of X-Feather, but I have waaaay too many Noodler's black bottles lying around already. I would feel too wasteful not using it all, you know? :p