Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mini-Review: Pilot Petit1

Placed an order with JStationery for refills for one of my main studying pens (Uniball alpha gel multipen). Of course, in order to reach the $20 minimum for free shipping, I started looking around for small, interesting purchases. This was the result!

Pilot Petit1 fountain pen (Violet)


Very cute, and surprisingly useable (even unposted). I have small hands, though, so others might want to post it. It's about 3 1/2" unposted, and 5 1/8" posted. It doesn't post terribly well, however--the cap feels as if it might fall off, and it takes a bit of concentration to get it on straight.

Here's a quick writing sample of the Petit1:


The pen came with one cartridge (violet ink). In fact, it was already "engaged" in the nib and shipped that way! I was a bit surprised by this, but there didn't seem to be any ink spills or leaks. The ink feels very wet, and the nib isn't quite as fine as I'd hoped. But that's just my personal preference for tiny nibs!

For a $4 pen, this isn't horrible--it has its own niche, being really compact, portable, and light. This would make a good purse/pocket pen (assuming it doesn't leak). The cap closes with a satisfying click, and it feels sturdier than I expected for an inexpensive plastic pen. The nib was a little scratchier than I expected for being so wet, though, and it's so small, I'm not sure a converter would fit (I haven't researched this). I plan on refilling the cartridge that came with it using a syringe.

I'm going to keep this pen in my purse for a while, since it's a good size for that. However, it's not an instant favorite, due to the slight nib scratchiness and the rather generous ink flow (I prefer stingier nibs). We'll see if my opinion changes over time!



2 comments:

Erin C. said...

This was a good review of the Petite1. I also bought one to fill my cart up to the $25 minimum at Jet Pens. I agree with everything you said about it. It's a bit scratchy, and really IS petite, but for $4, it's a pretty good little fountain pen. I got apple green, and wouldn't get that color again, I was just curious to see how it would perform. Hahaha, I am going to try filling the cartridge with a syringe also. :-)

Kooky Chick said...

Thanks for the kind words! :-) I love refilling cartridges with syringes. No need for a converter, and you get to use any kind of ink you want! :-D